Q: What is Thermal Reconditioning?
A: Thermal Reconditioning is an innovative technique from Japan to make frizzy, curly or wavy hair straight while preserving the hair's health. Thermal Reconditioning will improve the hair's feel, softness and shine while making it completely manageable!
The treatment is performed as follows:
1. Assess the hair type and condition.
2. Wash the hair.
3. Apply protein or proctection sprays to the hair (done by spray or running a gel-like solution through the hair).
4. Apply the first solution (this is to alter the hair's "Cystine Bond" - the bond that holds the curl or wave pattern).
5. Test to see when the bond is properly cut and is ready to rinse.
6. Rinse the hair (in some cases washing the hair).
7. Return to the chair and applying a protective protein solution (by spray).
8. Eliminate some excess moisture in the hair (blow-drying to a certain point).
9. Iron the hair in precise small sections with a special Thermal Iron reaching temperatures of 180 degrees Celsius (356 degrees F). This will not damage your hair.
10. Apply a neutralizer to the hair after ironing is completed.
11. Rinse the hair and conditioning.
12. Dry the hair and applying a flat iron to remove excess moisture if necessary.
Q: How long will the treatment last?
A: Whatever gets treated will remain straight forever and will not become curly or wavy again. The new growth that appears in the months following the treatment will need to be treated again. The new growth usuallyneeds to be treated about four to six months after the initial treatment.
Some stylists will offer a "Partial Treatment" to cover the part line (where you normally part your hair) and around the hairline. This will make it possible to go longer between full treatments because the roots are less noticeable underneath.
Q: What kind of hair is suitable for Thermal Reconditioning?
A: With the help of the right specialist, almost every type of hair is sutible for this treatment. There is a misconception that color treated hair and highlighted hair cannot be treated. This is not true, Thermal Reconditioning can produce excellent results on color treated and highlighted hair. View the gallery to see examples.
Q: What will my hair look like after the treatment?
A: Your hair will be straight and will feel soft and silky with more shine. You will be able to either wash and go or you can choose to style it by tussling it and finishing with a round brush or iron depending if you want to add bend or flip. For most clients, drying time is drastically reduced from an average of 45 minutes to under 10.
Q: How much does Thermal Reconditioning cost?
A: Typically from $400-$800 depending hair length, thickness, amount of chemical processing present and of course, the stylist's experience. Retouching the new outgrowth is usually less. Most charge a fixed rate for the new growth. Average is $500-$600.
The process is expensive because it takes hours to perform and is a highly specialized treatment. Beware of low cost salons offering to do this treatment at a cut rate price. With this treatment, consistency and expertise are vital to creating and maintaining beautiful hair.
Your hair is an investment, just one mistake during this process, and you will be growing it out for months to years. Its best to see a specialist that is dedicated to this process.
Q: What are other names for Thermal Reconditioning?
A: Japanese Hiar Straightening, Rebonding, Japanese Straight Perm and Thermal Reconstruction.